Thursday, October 21, 2010
Greater Vancouver Food Bank gets boost from a big business
VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - With line-ups at local food banks up 10 per cent this year, the Greater Vancouver Food Bank Society is getting a boost from big business.
Society CEO Cheryl Carline says GE Canada has donated $25,000 to food banks nation-wide.
"We are the third largest food bank in Canada so we'll probably see a significant amount of the contribution but we also have the largest population who accesses the food bank. It's kind of a double-edged sword for us but any time we're able to have great partnerships, like those with GE, we certainly appreciate it."
Employed, low-income individuals and families are the fastest growing segment of those who use local food banks and demand will only grow as we head into the holidays.
As part of the initiative, GE Canada has launched the Good Food Drive, providing eco-friendly shopping bags and some prize packages to help encourage people to donate to food banks.
In Metro Vancouver, five contestants will be invited to a GE Café Harvest Party hosted at West Restaurant on Tuesday, October 26, 2010. One winner will also go home with a complete GE Café kitchen, including microwave, range, range hood, refrigerator and dishwasher, valued at $10,000.
Most Metro Vancouver food banks also take online donations, you can drop food and cash in person and you can buy $2 "BC Share" coupons at your grocery store with the proceeds going to your local food bank.
- Halloween Costume Ideas 2010
- Best new restaurants in Canada named by enRoute
- Seven Kinds of Food Can Help You Sleep
- New restaurant hall of famers inducted
- Beet-Pickled Deviled Eggs [블랙 독거미 달걀요리 만들기]
- Westcoast Life: Halloween events, theatre, food, v...
- Greater Vancouver Food Bank gets boost from a big ...
- Men who eat junk food are more likely to have diab...
- KFC’s Double Down raises eyebrows among Canadian n...
- 배고픈 자취생이 간단하고 싸고 맛있게 먹을 수 있는 특별요리는?
- Research reveals why airplane food tastes so bad
- Grocers begin battle over sustainable seafood
- Athletes should know how much protein they are tak...
- How to sniff out fake restaurant reviews
- A Canadian Thanksgiving
- Restaurant listings
- Creating my own ethnic cuisine
- VANCOUVER SUN RESTAURANT GUIDE
- Vancouver's multi-cultural grocery stores
- Are healthy school lunches driving your kids to ju...
- The 25 Top Nutritious Foods for a Long, Healthy an...
- See her mind-blowing recipe!
- ▼ October (22)